Friday, October 24, 2008

The Haunting of Gini

I went up to Jerome last weekend, in order to take part in a Haunted Writer's Retreat.

It was fun and all. Good food. Found some great jewelry. Relaxed -- somewhat. We didn't see any ghosts, of course. Not because we didn't want to. No, we didn't see them...but we did feel their presence.

"Oooh, Gini!" you say. "You felt the icy fingers? Had chills? Felt something walk through you? Heard ghostly howling? Ran into Elvis?"

Actually...no.

The ceiling in our room leaked. A lot. From no discernable source.

Before that sounds all exciting, let me quickly say that the hotel determined the source -- a broken pipe that handled bathtub overflow from the rooms in the floor above us -- it just took a while. And the indoor rain stopped...in about 3 hours. The folks in the room above us had, apparently, run a bath and then forgotten about it, so there was a LOT of water raining (heh) down into our room.

We had plenty to do in those hours, us and the nice kid who was functioning as maintenance. Rearranging the entire room, for starters, since the water was falling on one of the beds. New linens and such. Basically once we were through you could have done some serious break-dancing in the middle of our room. It wasn't conducive to writing, however.

The hotel comped me for the night, of course. But it did make me think -- was it really faulty pipes? Or were the ghosts that supposedly infest this place just playing a prank?

But the one thing I really can't stop thinking about? How do you start running a bath in a hotel room, anywhere, really, and then just forget about it? I really wanted to ask the people above us what they were doing while their bathtub was flooding my room. I have my guesses, of course.

I think they were playing Hide The Haunt. But we'll never know. They disappeared mysteriously the next morning, never to be seen again.

Well, I overstate. They paid their bill and took off before I got up the next day. Though I do hope I don't run into them again -- we've booked the same room for next year's retreat and, really, one wet, haunted ceiling is enough for me.

-- Love, Gini

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger WKEverhart said...

Ghosts and ghouls and things that go bump in the night. The disembodied laughter of phantom children. All this available at the Jerome and you just got a leaky ceiling. So sorry. Egads! You'd think that them haints could have come up with something better than that!

October 26, 2008 at 11:19 AM  
Blogger Gini Koch said...

LOL! I know!!! My second year at this retreat and all I get are the "unfun" nocturnal disturbances. Last year some "ghost hunters" spent all Friday night drinking and shrieking (and being asked every 30 minutes by the management to keep it down), this year, I get an indoor waterfall. There's no justice...

Gini

October 26, 2008 at 1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home