Saturday, November 1, 2008

15 Minutes of Fame

Got to do something really fun the other night -- I got to lead a table topic at my RWA Chapter (Desert Rose) meeting. And no, it wasn’t on how to properly pick the right Aerosmith album to listen to while writing (though I could do that one in my sleep).

No, it was about networking at writing conferences.

And, before you scoff and snicker, I’m actually very good at it. It’s how I landed my most awesome agent. Well, I had good books, too, but I got in a strong position to share them with her by utilizing my networking skills.

It was great fun to share my experiences with the gals at my table. They had a lot of good questions, too, which is always great when you’re a speaker -- no one wants to present to the Silent Zombies. So, I had fun and got to impart some actual wisdom, so a good time had by all and all that.

Of course the real test isn’t how well it went with a group of writers who are already dedicated to the art and professionals in their own rights.

No, indeed. The real test is going to come next month. When I get to present to a full classroom…of high school students.

I'm sure it'll be fine. After all, to paraphrase my favorite line out of "Real Genius", the young folks love it when I get down with them verbally.

And maybe I can convince some of the nice gals who were at my table at the Desert Rose meeting to come with me as plants in the audience...hey, they were all fun and youthful, it could work...

-- Love, Gini

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger WKEverhart said...

Good luck at the high school. If high schoolers these days are like my students at the university, you may not find them to be as interactive as your RWA listeners. Most of my freshmen sit quietly and remind me of deer in headlights. The very suggestion that they should voice an opinion or ask a question sends panic through those wide and staring eyes. :D

November 1, 2008 at 11:01 PM  
Blogger Gini Koch said...

LOL. I've been warned that they'll be interactive. Which is good. You know, as long as I'm also interesting. Of course, the proof will be in the pudding, or the classroom, in this case. ;-D

-- Gini

November 2, 2008 at 12:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home